Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default RTD server on remote machine.

Hi. I am trying to set up a RTD server on a remote machine. I have it
working on a local machine already. I've also read all the microsoft
articles, which aren't helpful.
In particular, my question concerns the following comment on the
microsoft help page:
"When RTD server runs on a remote server, the RTD server must be an
..exe.".
What does that mean? Is the exe supposed to be running?
Is it supposed to create the server?
What exactly do I register on the client machine? How can I register
an exe?
Basically, their article makes absolutely no sense.
P.S. I don't care which language to use to create the server.
I know about regasm.exe. My question concerns what to register.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Mike Kamzyuk" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. I am trying to set up a RTD server on a remote machine. I have it
working on a local machine already. I've also read all the microsoft
articles, which aren't helpful.
In particular, my question concerns the following comment on the
microsoft help page:
"When RTD server runs on a remote server, the RTD server must be an
.exe.".
What does that mean? Is the exe supposed to be running?
Is it supposed to create the server?
What exactly do I register on the client machine? How can I register
an exe?
Basically, their article makes absolutely no sense.
P.S. I don't care which language to use to create the server.
I know about regasm.exe. My question concerns what to register.

Well, it means that the RTD provider must be an exe that has a COM
interface. The server is called thru DCOM. When you call CreateObject, the
exe will start. I suppose this is the article you were referring to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q285888/

It makes perfect sense to me.

/Fredrik

/fredrik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What do you mean, I call CreateObject? So the exe must be running?
How would excel know which dll (or exe) to use? What do I register on
the client machine?