Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Cleaning up a web query

I'm bringing in some tables from a web page. The cell contents I want
to keep are those that have text that is hyperlinked. There are other
cells that are a hyperlink only (no text) or text only that I want to
clear. What approach should I take? I'm thinking I can loop through
the range, but I'm never worked with this type of data and don't know
how to specify the conditions for clearing the unwanted cells.
TIA,
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What is often done is to just use a macro or formulas to get what you need
from the sheet where the web page was brought in to the sheet where it is
needed. More info and a url might be helpful.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm bringing in some tables from a web page. The cell contents I want
to keep are those that have text that is hyperlinked. There are other
cells that are a hyperlink only (no text) or text only that I want to
clear. What approach should I take? I'm thinking I can loop through
the range, but I'm never worked with this type of data and don't know
how to specify the conditions for clearing the unwanted cells.
TIA,
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A typical page I'm pulling in is
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...d=-1&feat=dp26.

From this, I pull in tables 11,12,13,14 with full HTML formatting.

The only cells I'm interested in keeping the contents of are the text
hyperlink cells. I use a custom function to extract the URL from the
hyperlink into a cell above it, from which I use a MID function to get
a product ID into a cell above it also that I can then do vlookups off
of to pull in the data I want displayed.

But you'll notice that there is a cell where the webpage image is that
just holds a hyperlink, as well as the price text, that I'd like
cleared. I've noticed in pulling in different pages that these aren't
always on the same row, so I can't do a shortcut that way.

Thanks again,
Jim

Don Guillett wrote:
What is often done is to just use a macro or formulas to get what you

need
from the sheet where the web page was brought in to the sheet where

it is
needed. More info and a url might be helpful.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm bringing in some tables from a web page. The cell contents I

want
to keep are those that have text that is hyperlinked. There are

other
cells that are a hyperlink only (no text) or text only that I want

clear. What approach should I take? I'm thinking I can loop

through
the range, but I'm never worked with this type of data and don't

know
how to specify the conditions for clearing the unwanted cells.
TIA,
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want to send me the workbook with a description(BY CELL ADDRESS) what
you want, I will take a look.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
A typical page I'm pulling in is

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...d=-1&feat=dp26.

From this, I pull in tables 11,12,13,14 with full HTML formatting.

Don Guillett wrote:
What is often done is to just use a macro or formulas to get what you

need
from the sheet where the web page was brought in to the sheet where

it is
needed. More info and a url might be helpful.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

oups.com...