Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default make a cell empty based on condition

I am trying to make a cell value be null with the
following:=IF($C$2=A18,A18,"")

My goal is to make C18 be empty if this is false. I don't want it to be
blank; I want it to be as if I never typed a value in the cell at all.

When I try the above, C18 is blank when the above evaluates to false, but I
am creating a chart and the chart recognizes the cell as having a value. It
plots the data point. I've already gone to Tools/Options/Chart and set it to
not plot empty cells. The problem is that it still shows the x-axis value
though with no data. If I delete the contents of C18, then the chart comes
out right, but that also means, there is no equation in there to fill the
cell when the above equation is true.

Is there a way to either make C18 truly empty based on the condition above
or make the chart behave and "really" not plot blank cells?

thank you in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know what the "Char" is for a blank, but something like this I think
will work.

=IF($C$2=A18,A18,CHAR(255))

"mpierre" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for trying David, but it was a no go. The chart still plots all of
them. The improvement is that it didn't put x-axis values down, but it did
create the entire axis.

What I'm trying to do is create a dynamic chart the expands axes as well as
data) as the data set grows. Specifically, I plotting data for all 52 weeks
of the year, but I'd like the chart to grow as the year proceeds, adding a
week at a time to the chart. Right now it, plots the entire year and just
the data is updated, not the size of the chart. I'm using a DynamicCharts
example from Jon Peltier's web page to try and do this.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DynamicCharts.html

Anyone know how I might fix this?

"mpierre" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=IF($C$2=A18,A18,na())
may work for you.

And if you don't like that #N/A error, you could hide it with Format|conditional
formatting

--

Dave Peterson