Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Question about installing MDAC

Hello,
I have a VB6, Excel/Word VBA commercial app for which I need to install MDAC
before installing my app if not present. I use my Wise Installation System
Version 9 to install my app and MDAC 2.6 SP1. One prospect has an old Win 98
Office 97 configuration and I wonder if there are any potential problems or
issues installing this newer MDAC on an older system like that. Per a MS KB
article, it will work, but I'm wondering if it will create any problems with
his other current apps,etc.
Thanks, God bless
Van
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Somewhere around MDAC version 2.5, parts of the MS Jet Engine were
removed as the Jet Engine became a stand-alone structure. You will probably
find that upgrading to later versions of MDAC will definitely cause your
older user to have problems, but a lot of that depends on how sophisticated
your code is. My problems came into play with MS Access VBA but I'd have a
hunch that similar issues will appear with Excel. Also note that going
backwards from a newer MDAC to an older version, while supposedly do-able, is
difficult as MDAC is embedded in a lot of places throughout the MS Windows
environment. Use caution.

Steve in Ohio

(To properly maintain the Newsgroup, click the YES or NO button on your
original posting to clear your entry, once you have or have not resolved this
issue with this correspondence thread €“ Steve.)