Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Clearing Memory

Hi, I've set up my spreadsheet so that at the click of a button it will check
all of the entries for any duplicates. Unfortunately there is more and more
data on the sheets each week and this slows down the duplicate checker.

I assume this is because it is somehow filling up the computers memory, and
the easiest way to sort it would be to dump the unneeded data it might be
storing after each section of the search.

My questions being: what is the best way to do this; is this the best way
to sort it out; will this get rid of the variables i need to keep (ie if
sheetscan = 3 then sheets("Progress") activate - to scroll through the
sheets)?????

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Jonny
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
-\) -\) is offline

This sounds like a sort problem taught is Computer Science courses.

Any type of sort will work with little data, some types increase the CPU
load in the order of N^2, so as your number of entries you need to increase
the CPU time exponentially.

If your data list starts out sorted then you can change the sort method and
change the required CPU time to something on the order of 2*N.

I would check for duplicates after each row is added, then you have one row
to insert in the proper place, and the whole data set stays sorted. This
also lets you use a more efficient sort method like the Binary Sort.

(I would check with a University book store for CS course books that have
been recently moved to the "now used" list).

Depending on the amount of data, you might also be filling memory too.