Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default New Excel Add-In for Analysis Services

Trying to use the new Add-in for Analysis Services in Excel 2003, running on
Win XP SP1.
Trying to connect the Add-in to AS via http.
I get the following error: "OLAP Server error: Unspecified error"

However, when I connect to the same AS, also via http, this time using the
regular Excel menu (Data, Import External Data, Import Data... etc..), I can
connect without a problem.

What is different about this new add-in that prevents me to connect to my
Analysis Server?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Where did the Add-in for Analysis Services come from? Have you checked
the website of the vendor for any reported problems? If the vendor is
MS, check support.microsoft.com

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
Trying to use the new Add-in for Analysis Services in Excel 2003, running on
Win XP SP1.
Trying to connect the Add-in to AS via http.
I get the following error: "OLAP Server error: Unspecified error"

However, when I connect to the same AS, also via http, this time using the
regular Excel menu (Data, Import External Data, Import Data... etc..), I can
connect without a problem.

What is different about this new add-in that prevents me to connect to my
Analysis Server?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tushar, you are quite mistaken. Here from the MSDN Subscription site:

MSDN managed newsgroups are available in English to MSDN Universal,
Enterprise, Professional and Operating Systems subscribers to receive free
technical support on select Microsoft technologies as well as to share ideas
with other subscribers. MSDN managed newsgroups provide:

Unlimited on-line technical support - keep your PSS incidents
A commitment to respond to your post within two business days
....etc...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

After 2 days of efforts, I still cannot connect to my Analysis Server.
The closer I got was by doing the following:

I tried checking the "Server" radio button instead of the "http" radio
button. In the server textbox, I typed "https://MyServer/MyASPdir/", and
clicking next took me one step further. I was so happy that I then clicked
cancelled and went back to see which cube I wanted to test.
Then I did the exact same thing again, checking "Server", etc... and I get
"Olap Server Error: Authentication failed" when I click next. This is
complete bull since it hasn't asked for any userID or password at this stage.
Anyway, I'm stuck again.

I've removed Office 2003 from my machine, installed again, applied SP1,
reinstalled the Add-in, renamed the ORSLN directory, you name it...

"James" wrote:

Trying to use the new Add-in for Analysis Services in Excel 2003, running on
Win XP SP1.
Trying to connect the Add-in to AS via http.
I get the following error: "OLAP Server error: Unspecified error"

However, when I connect to the same AS, also via http, this time using the
regular Excel menu (Data, Import External Data, Import Data... etc..), I can
connect without a problem.

What is different about this new add-in that prevents me to connect to my
Analysis Server?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi James,
Try typing your SQL server name in the "Server" radio button. It should be
the server that host Analysis Services application and contain your OLAP cube.