Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JK JK is offline

Default Reset Security Level with VBA?

My application installs with a ton of messages that inform the user to
ENABLE MACROS when they open the program. I have even digitally signed it so
(when their Excel security level is set to HIGH or MEDIUM) they can select
me as a trusted source and enable macros. Guess what? Users don't read the
instructions. So many of them still don't enable the macros and wonder why
the program doesn't function properly.

Is there a way to reset the security with VBA when my program opens? The
phone calls are killing me.

Thank you in advance.

Jim Kobzeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim

A macro can not allow itself to run, no. But once it (or anything else, like
a small external exe file) runs; the security setting is a registry key in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\(versi on)\Excel\Security
and code can alter registry keys. It is not considered good practice, but a
man's got to do what a man's got to do.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"JK" skrev i melding news:aC2sd.604$S33.511@trnddc03...
My application installs with a ton of messages that inform the user to
ENABLE MACROS when they open the program. I have even digitally signed it

so
(when their Excel security level is set to HIGH or MEDIUM) they can select
me as a trusted source and enable macros. Guess what? Users don't read the
instructions. So many of them still don't enable the macros and wonder why
the program doesn't function properly.

Is there a way to reset the security with VBA when my program opens? The
phone calls are killing me.

Thank you in advance.

Jim Kobzeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is a possible solution. Use a dedicated sheet that is automatically
hidden through code at the on_open event. The only thing on the screen is a
message that macros's are not enabled and the spread sheet will not work
properly. If the code executes no problem, they never see the message.
Otherwise, the first thing they see is the message.

Hope this helps...

"JK" wrote:

My application installs with a ton of messages that inform the user to
ENABLE MACROS when they open the program. I have even digitally signed it so
(when their Excel security level is set to HIGH or MEDIUM) they can select
me as a trusted source and enable macros. Guess what? Users don't read the
instructions. So many of them still don't enable the macros and wonder why
the program doesn't function properly.

Is there a way to reset the security with VBA when my program opens? The
phone calls are killing me.

Thank you in advance.

Jim Kobzeff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tushar Mehta" skrev i melding

if you fiddle with the registry setting a la Harald's suggestion, and
malicious code infects your user computer and your/their corporate
networks, it won't be just phone calls you have to worry about. {grin}

Hi Tushar

Very good point.
I've written "don't ever do that" too many times and gotten a few well
earned "mind your own business" in return. I've learnt that sometimes there
are valid, productive reasons to programmatically hijack a computer. I
choose to (but don't really) believe that anyone skilled enough to do it is
skilled enough to know the consequences.

Ok, for the record: Don't fiddle with registry settings that deals with
other applications than your own. Don't change screen resolution. Don't
write system modal windows, forms or prompts. Don't disable functionality.
Don't lower system security. Don't blame the norwegians.

Best wishes Harald

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Harald,

My comment was not meant for you. It was intended in the same vein as
your "for the record" warning, which, BTW, is both comprehensive and
succinct. Though, I don't know about the Norwegian part. {g}

Over in another forum where I have been spending more time lately, it
is frustrating at the number of people who have just discovered how to
record a macro and then post something along the lines of "I want to
force my users to enable macros; then, I want to make sure they can do
nothing other than what my macro allows. Give me the code." What is
worse is the number of people who respond with solutions that are
patently flawed and will, without doubt, cause a catastrophe at some
point in the future.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
lid says...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim -

Without disabling security of the host computer, you could write a short program in
VB that when double-clicked will open your file in Excel (not VBA, but its big
brother, which makes full executables). One Excel program can open another workbook
that contains code, without triggering the warning, and so can the VB program.

Short of this, the suggestion by Jim Thomlinson is the best, to make the workbook
useless if macros are disabled, but with obvious instructions (large bold red text
doesn't hurt) about what to do to correct the situation.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services