Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default OfficeLinks in XLXP?

Greetings, all -

I'm an experienced relational database developer who is pretty much a
newbie as far as Excel development is concerned. I have been wracking my
brain trying to figure out how to export the contents of a worksheet to
(or as) a Word document without having to resort to macros (partly
because this workbook will be both emailed and copied into PocketExcel,
so any macros would likely be lost; and partly because I find the Word
object model completely baffling). Now, Access has this nifty feature
called "OfficeLinks" on the toolbar, which provides shortcuts like
"Analyze It With Excel," "Publish it with Microsoft Word," and "Merge it
with Microsoft Word." Although this is still available in AXP, Excel XP
does not appear to offer this functionality. IIRC, good ol' XL97 had
something kind of similar...shortcut commands from the Data menu which
created an Access forms or generated an Access report (which could THEN
be sent to Word...very circuitous!) from a worksheet, & added a control
to the worksheet to take you directly to the form/report with a click.
But again, these are nowhere to be found in XP. My goal is to create a
userform with a button that the user can click to generate a printable
report. Any ideas, suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

tia,

LeAnne
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

LeAnne

Maybe what you are looking for is ACCLINK.XLA

Should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library folder.

Loaded through ToolsAdd-ins. Look for "Microsoft Access Links Add-in" and
checkmark it.

If you cannot find it, can be downloaded from this site.

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/acclnk.aspx

Note: do not let the XL 2002 reference throw you. This is the same Add-in
that was included with 97 and 2000.

I have the original from my XL97 and......same file down to the last byte.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 14:04:32 -0500, LeAnne wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gord, thx for replying!

Gord Dibben wrote:
LeAnne

Maybe what you are looking for is ACCLINK.XLA

Should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Library folder.

Loaded through ToolsAdd-ins. Look for "Microsoft Access Links Add-in" and
checkmark it.

Yep, that was the first place I looked for it.

If you cannot find it, can be downloaded from this site.

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/acclnk.aspx

Note: do not let the XL 2002 reference throw you. This is the same Add-in
that was included with 97 and 2000.

I have the original from my XL97 and......same file down to the last byte.

Found, downloaded, & checked. I appreciate the pointer, since this is a
darned handy utility for internal use, and I was miffed when I realized
it hadn't shipped with the product as it did with XL97. Thanks a heap!
However...I'm still hoping to find a way to send data from a worksheet
*directly* to Word without having to go by way of Access, and without
using macros. Again, this workbook is intended to be used on desktops,
laptops, & and/or handhelds. Any further thoughts?

Thanks again,

LeAnne

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

LeAnne

I'm not too experienced with cross-application methods so don't have much info
to share.

The "Office Links" feature does not appear in Excel but you can link Excel to
Word.

In Excel you can use the Report Manager to create reports which could be
exported/linked to Word........again, not included with Office XP so must be
downloaded.

The Report Manager add-in for Excel 2002(XP)download is named RPTMGR.EXE and
is downloadable from here

All one line.

Your use of a UserForm and a Button would seem to include VBA and macros.

Gord

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:25:50 -0500, LeAnne wrote:

Hi Gord, thx for replying!

Gord Dibben wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Gord,

Thx again for replying. I've been pharting around a bit with the Report
Manager, but haven't made much progress. I'm still sorting out Views and
Scenarios, which don't seem terribly intuitive...or maybe I'm just a bit
slow on the uptake. It's tough to teach an old broad new tricks! As for
the userform, I'm trying to avoid macros and use the native
functionality of Excel wherever possible, but some simple coding is
probably ok. Frex, it looks like controls from the Forms toolbar (as
opposed to ActiveX controls) are fairly basic & can be downloaded to a
PC (with "medium" security) or to certain PDA apps (our users won't be
using PocketOffice, I'm told, but something called SpreadCE, which does
accept simple macros). Then again, we can always just walk users through
the Report manager process in the ReadMe file if it comes to that.

Thanks for your suggestions,

LeAnne