Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Template won't open as a .xls in Excel 2000

I wrote a template in Excel 97 that on "Workbook_Open", it checks to see if
the fileformat is a template. If it is, the user is informed that they are
going to edit the template. If it is not a template, then the code checks to
see if there is data in a cell called "Event". If there if data in "Event",
then the user is opening a file to continue to work on the workbook. If the
Cell is blank, the user is starting a new workbook and a start up routine is
started.

This all works fine in 97 but when the file is opened in 2000, Excel
crashes. It will open to edit the template. It will open a workbook with the
data in the "Event" cell. It seems to have the problem when "converting" (I
don't know if this is the correct term) the file from a .xlt to .xls. The
only thing I can think to work around this is to save the template as a .xls
file, but I would rather not do that. Why is this happening, and what can I
do to make this work in 2000?
--
Lawrence A Murdock
Sacramento, CA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You posted this question on 12/2/2004 and it appears as though no one
responded to your inquiry. If you are still attempting to solve the problem
of "Template won't open as a .xls in Excel 2000", then re-post your question
in this NewsGroup and one of us will take a fresh look at it. On your
original posting, you should click the YES or NO buttons to close out that
entry on the system.

Steve in Ohio