Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLookUp function

Does the VLookUp function only allow you to return the
value in ONE column from the "column_index_number" in the
functions arguements?

If so, is it possible to return more than one columns
value with another function?

Many thanks
Ian.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Do you mean within the same cell?
You could concatenate two vlookups referencing different columns.
Ex:
=VLOOKUP(E6,$I$8:$k$10,2,1)&" "&VLOOKUP(E6,$I$8:$k$10,3,1)

tj

"Ian Johnson" wrote:

Does the VLookUp function only allow you to return the
value in ONE column from the "column_index_number" in the
functions arguements?

If so, is it possible to return more than one columns
value with another function?

Many thanks
Ian.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ian Johnson wrote:
Does the VLookUp function only allow you to return the
value in ONE column from the "column_index_number" in the
functions arguements?
. . .

No.

=VLOOKUP(3,A1:G8,{2,5,6}), array entered into a 3-cell row will return
the values from Columns B,E & F that correspond to the value of 3 in
Column A.

=VLOOKUP(3,A1:G8,{2;5;6}) will return them to a 3-cell column.

Alan Beban
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alan thanks for your reply, however I'm struggling to make
the function work. I follow the logic and it looks like
what I want to do ie: fill three continuous cells in a row
from the VLOOKUP funtion. I've tried pasting your example
in a blank cell and I get the value from column B, but I
can't seem to get the values in columns E & F. Presumably
I need to copy the VLOOKUP function in the first cell into
the next two cells but I'm not sure how to get this right,
the range reference increments as I copy it and making the
reference absolute just gets me the same value as the
first cell of the row.

Ian.
Does the VLookUp function only allow you to return the
value in ONE column from the "column_index_number" in

the
functions arguements?
. . .

No.

=VLOOKUP(3,A1:G8,{2,5,6}), array entered into a 3-cell

row will return
the values from Columns B,E & F that correspond to the

value of 3 in
Column A.

=VLOOKUP(3,A1:G8,{2;5;6}) will return them to a 3-cell

column.

Alan Beban
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

tj

Thanks for your comments but I'm actually looking to have
a row of continuous cells display the result.

Ian.

"Ian Johnson" wrote:

Does the VLookUp function only allow you to return the
value in ONE column from the "column_index_number" in

the
functions arguements?

If so, is it possible to return more than one columns
value with another function?

Many thanks
Ian.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ian,

Just to build on Alan's reply - even if you don't enter the formula as an
array one, it will still return the three values, although you will only be
able to see the first one . However, the fact that you can't see them
doesn't mean you can't manipulate the three results. To check this go to the
formula bar, select the formula and press F9. For example:

if your table is as follows
A 2 5 8
D 1 11 20
P 4 1 9
E 1 30 21

=SUMPRODUCT(VLOOKUP("P",$A$1:$D$4,{2,3,4},FALSE))

this formula will sum up the resulting values and will give you 14 in this
case.

Regards,
KL

"Alan Beban" wrote in message
Ian Johnson wrote:
Does the VLookUp function only allow you to return the value in ONE
column from the "column_index_number" in the functions arguements?
. . .

No.

=VLOOKUP(3,A1:G8,{2,5,6}), array entered into a 3-cell row will return the
values from Columns B,E & F that correspond to the value of 3 in Column A.

=VLOOKUP(3,A1:G8,{2;5;6}) will return them to a 3-cell column.

Alan Beban

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ian,

Just select 3 cells horizontally, copy the formula into the first one and
press Ctrl+Shift+Enter. Entering the same formula vertically does not for me
either, but this does:

=TRANSPOSE(VLOOKUP(3,A1:G8,{2;5;6}))

again, select 3 cells vertically, enter the formula in the first cell and
Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Regards,
KL

"Ian Johnson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

KL wrote:
Ian,

Just select 3 cells horizontally, copy the formula . . .

Which formula? I gave two. One with commas, one with semicolons. One
returns a vertical array, the other returns a horizontal array (which is
which depends on whether you use comma or semicolon as your normal
delimiter).

Alan Beban

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Alan,

thanks for the reply but I'm still struggling. This is the
data I'm trying this on:

a b c d e f
0.457 3.55 500 200 200 200
0.525 3.25 400 195 195 195
0.616 2.93 300 190 190 190
0.675 2.75 250 185 185 185
0.746 2.57 200 180 180 180
0.835 2.38 150 175 175 175
0.946 2.17 100 170 170 170
1.09 1.95 50 165 165 165
1.29 1.71 0 160 160 160

and I'm using this VLOOKUP function:
=VLOOKUP(1,A1:F10,{2,5,6})

but the result I get is:
2.17 #N/A #N/A

when I would expect/hope for:
2.17 170 170

If I look at the VLOOKUP formulae in the three continuous
cell (horizontally) they read:
=VLOOKUP(1,A1:F10,{2,5,6}) then =VLOOKUP(1,B1:G10,{2,5,6})
and =VLOOKUP(1,C1:H10,{2,5,6}).

I'm putting these formulae in cells A14, B14 and C14 by
highlighting all three cells and then pasting (ctrl-V) the
original VLOOKUP formula into this selection.

Thanks for persisting with me on this one,

wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select your three cells

go to the formula bar and enter
=VLOOKUP(1,A1:F10,{2,5,6})

Now, normally you would hit Enter to finish the editing, but instead you
should hold down the ctrl and Shift keys, then while holding them down, hit
the enter key as well. Ctrl+Shift+Enter

no select one of the cells (the formula should be identical in all cells
rather than shifted as you show).

{=VLOOKUP(1,A1:F10,{2,5,6})}

the formula will appear to be in brackets as shown above. these are not
actually present, but they are used by excel to give feedback that the
formula has been entered as and is being treated as an array formula.

If you now try to edit any single of those 3 cells, you will get an error
that you can not edit that cell. You would need to again select all 3 cells
and do the edit, then again close out with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Now if you want to copy down as an example, you would select all three
cells, then drag fill down.

If this is not clear to you, then reread the thread and perhaps you will
understand one of the other explanations that have given similar advice.

Tom Ogilvy