Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sum a variable database

I need to sum a spreadsheet that looks like a schedule
(waterfall) chart. Each row has data about quanities of a
specific item. The data starts in a column goes for a few
columns then stops. Each column is a month of the year
(s). A column on the left has the type of item that is in
that particular row. The rows can be any type of item but
each row only contains one item. I have about 6 items to
sum that may change. I want to sum the items by row and
sum the items by month. I have rows at the bottom that
contain a sum for each item for each month. I would like
suggestions on the equations to use at the bottom. I could
use flat database with a pivot table but the input looks
like a waterfall chart. Suggestions? Ken
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ken,
I am not sure I understand the dificulty here. You are having trouble
summing the columns? Looks like the sum would be the whole column, regardless
of whether the column all contains data or not. Seems that way for the rows
too.
Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
Item1 1 1 1 1 1 1 6
Item2 2 2 2 2 2 10
Item3 3 3 3 3 12
Item4 4 4 4 12
Item5 5 5 10
Item6 6 6
21 15 10 6 3 1
=SUM(B2:B7) - All the way across

"Ken Goodwin" wrote:

I need to sum a spreadsheet that looks like a schedule
(waterfall) chart. Each row has data about quanities of a
specific item. The data starts in a column goes for a few
columns then stops. Each column is a month of the year
(s). A column on the left has the type of item that is in
that particular row. The rows can be any type of item but
each row only contains one item. I have about 6 items to
sum that may change. I want to sum the items by row and
sum the items by month. I have rows at the bottom that
contain a sum for each item for each month. I would like
suggestions on the equations to use at the bottom. I could
use flat database with a pivot table but the input looks
like a waterfall chart. Suggestions? Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

I want to know how many item1 there are how many item2 and
so on. Each item can have many rows assigned to it or
none. So:

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
Item1 1 1 1 1 1 1 6
Item2 2 2 2 2 2 10
Item3 3 3 3 3 12
Item2 4 4 4 12
Item3 5 5 10
Item1 6 6
Item1 7 1 1 1 1 1
Item2 6 6 6 2 2
Item3 8 8 3 3
Total 21 15 10 6 3 1

It is the sum of the items I want without hard wiring
(b2+b7 = Item1 for Jan) the solution.

"Ken Goodwin" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Too simple. I solved this problem by using the SUMIF
function. SUMIF(Column on Left with item names, Specific
item name I am looking for, Column of data I want to sum
up) I put this in each cell at the bottom and changed the
item name for each row. I can put the item name in any
row on the left and have it sum the data within the
database. Ken