Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I calculate "x+x=2x" using Excel?

How do I calculate variable addition such as:
"x+x=2x" using Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if x1 is in cell a1 and x2 in cell a2 then =a1+a2 give the sum

if x is in a1 the =2*a1 gives you twice

--
duan

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1162
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31923

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mel Mel is offline

I mean, how would I calculate x+x without having to assign a number to x?
If I put:
1 x
2 x
3 =a1+a2 ( Get the error #VALUE!) ...I want it to show "2x"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

if x is in both a1 and a2 is thsi what you are looking for?

=CONCATENATE(COUNTif(A1:A2,"x"),"x"

--
duan

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1162
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31923

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi mel

didn't realise you had multi-posted .... normally, not necessary (and
frowned on) within these newsgroups ...

Cheers
JulieD

"melanie" wrote in message
How do I calculate variable addition such as:
"x+x=2x" using Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mel Mel is offline

I'm trying to do algebraic operations on the cells
so if I enter (all in a single cell):

2x+2y+y -----I would get---- 2x + 3y ----------in the same cell when I
press enter
x+y+z -----I would get ----- x+y+z -----------in the same cell when I
press enter
10+x+4x+y+y -----I would get----- 10+5x+2y---in the same cell when I press
enter

I hope that explain what I'm trying to do better, sorry I was vague before.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Mel Mel is offline

I apologize. First time using the discussion group and accidently posted
twice without realizing it.

"melanie" wrote in message
How do I calculate variable addition such as:
"x+x=2x" using Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:41:40 -0800, mel wrote:

I'm trying to do algebraic operations on the cells
so if I enter (all in a single cell):

2x+2y+y -----I would get---- 2x + 3y ----------in the same cell when I
press enter
x+y+z -----I would get ----- x+y+z -----------in the same cell when I
press enter
10+x+4x+y+y -----I would get----- 10+5x+2y---in the same cell when I press
enter

I hope that explain what I'm trying to do better, sorry I was vague before.

You cannot do that with Excel worksheet functions. You will certainly not be
able to enter something in a cell, and then have the contents of the cell
change to the result, with the functions. And to use undefined variables as
you describe would be exceedingly complex.

However, you could write a routine in VBA which could parse out your entries,
and then give you a result. And put this routine into an event triggered macro
to change the cell contents as you describe.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

XL doesn't support symbolic math. Use a program such as Mathematica or
Maple or a competitor that I don't know about.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,