Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default control box, macro security and trouble saving a file

We have a spreadsheet application that contains a control box with a drop
down menu that is connected with a pivot table that returns data based upon
the menu selection. When this was created, it was acertained that this
control wouldn't work unless macro security was set to medium. All
applicants who use this application are advised as such. This app has been
in use for 2 rounds of funding with no reported problems, until today:

I had an applicant call who couldn't get the drop down to work, he couldn't
make a selection. When this occurs, I have them switch macro security to
medium. He did so, but the box still didn't work. He emailed me the file,
and when I opened that page of the application, the control box had moved
from the right hand side of the sheet, to the left hand side, and was sitting
atop some text. The sheets of the application are all password protected
with only specific cells unlocked, so he couldn't have moved the control.

I unlocked it, moved the control box, locked it back up, and was able to
make the selection, but then I couldn't save the file -it repeatedly errored
out. I moved the mouse to a different page and was then able to save the
file. I sent it back to him, and it appears to be functioning?

Any thought on how the control was moved? Why I had trouble saving it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Julie:

If you have already solved your "roving control" problem, then you can
disregard my thoughts. (I scan for older postings that have only their
original request, trying to determine why no one responded. It's either a
hobby or a bad habit.)
Since you seem to have set adequate security protections and judging
from your original posting, my knee-jerk reaction would be a corrupted file.
Especially since, once you reset the errant control, you had problems
re-saving the workbook. Has the user experienced any, subsequent problems?
When you moved the control back to where it belonged, did you inspect any of
the control's properties or underlying macros/VBA code? Did you compare the
bad workbook against a clean version to determine if anything else was amiss
(like an extra or missing worksheet)? Has that particular user registered
any other "strange" happenings with his/her computer?
While there could be other causes, the placement of a control, whether
intentional or otherwise, shouldn't have anything to do with its
functionality.

Steve in Ohio