Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem With Links

I have created a worksheet within a workbook with links to another worksheet
in another workbook. When I open the destination workbook on my computer
(Windows XP, Excel 2003), it finds the source workbook and loads the
requested information. When I distribute the destination workbook and the
source workbook to others (some with Windows XP, some with Windows 2000, some
with Excel 2003, some with Excel 97), along with instructions for placing it
and the source workbook in a specified directory strucxture identical to that
which is on my computer, the destination workbook begins to open and displays
the following message in a dialog box: "This workbook contains one or more
links which cannot be updated." The dialog box goes on to explain the
results of selecting either of two options; Continue or Edit Links.

No amount of effort to "Update Links," "Change Source File Location," etc.
seems to allow the destination workbook to open without displaying this
message. I've ensured that all related selections in the Tools:Options menu
are checked/unchecked appropriately (Calculation tab, Security tab - Macro
Security, General tab, etc.).

Another intriguing bit of information. If I place the two workbooks in a
self-extracting ZIP file that when executed, places the two workbooks in the
same directory structure as defined in the links used, and then run the file
on my computer, the resulting destination workbook opens on my computer
displaying the same message: "This workbook contains one or more links which
cannot be updated."

Any ideas?