Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Timed Interval Data Entry

Hi

I'm having trouble with a macro I need. I need a worksheet that allows
users to enter a value (between 1 and 5) using a keypad, but only at certain
time intervals. For example, every 2 minutes, the user gets a reminder (a
flashing text box?) to input a value. the value is then input via the key
pad and the 'flashing reminder' goes away. 2 minutes later, same thing, and
so on for a specified time period until you have a list of numbers. My main
problems are that although I can 'get by' in VBA I can't figure out how to:
a) get a repeating flashing message reminder
b) lock the data entry between input periods
c) let the user enter data while a macro is running.

Basic design is:
<interval = 120 seconds
<active_time = 10 seconds
<end_time = 6000 seconds

start_time
wait interval
do active_time tasks
wait interval
do active_time tasks
etc....
until end_time

active_time tasks {
flash message box (or input box?)
allow user to enter number via keypad
store number in list
stop flash message box
increment cell position so that next input goes in new cell
}

Is that even possible?
I've struggled for ages on this but my programming skills just aren't up to
it.

Thanks
Conor

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Look at Chip Pearson's page on using Application.Ontime. The macro is not
running all the time, so that is part of the solution.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm

You can use the code to protect and unprotect the sheet (possibly).

Tom Ogilvy