Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Count rows based on multiple variables

I'm having trouble figuring out a way to count specific rows in a database I
have, using multiple variables. For example. I have column A, B, and C. In
column "A" are number values from 1-10. In Column "B" are peoples names, and
in Column "C" are other text values. I want to figure out a way to count all
the rows that have the numbers 1-3 in column "A", the same name in column
"B", and the same text value in column "C". I've tried using multiple
variations of the COUNT, DCOUNT, SUM, and DSUM functions but have had no
luck. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Brendan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Murph

Try:
=SUMPRODUCT((B1:B10="Jones")*(C1:C10="Feb")*(A1:A1 0=1)*(A1:A10<=3))

Don Pistulka

"Murph" wrote in message
I'm having trouble figuring out a way to count specific rows in a database
have, using multiple variables. For example. I have column A, B, and C.
In
column "A" are number values from 1-10. In Column "B" are peoples names,
and
in Column "C" are other text values. I want to figure out a way to count
all
the rows that have the numbers 1-3 in column "A", the same name in column
"B", and the same text value in column "C". I've tried using multiple
variations of the COUNT, DCOUNT, SUM, and DSUM functions but have had no
luck. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Brendan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You say "the same". Do you intend to specify what that name and text is, or is
the formula supposed to just count duplicates based on columns B and C where A
is between 1 and 10?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:41:01 -0700, "Murph"
wrote:

I'm having trouble figuring out a way to count specific rows in a database I
have, using multiple variables. For example. I have column A, B, and C. In
column "A" are number values from 1-10. In Column "B" are peoples names, and
in Column "C" are other text values. I want to figure out a way to count all
the rows that have the numbers 1-3 in column "A", the same name in column
"B", and the same text value in column "C". I've tried using multiple
variations of the COUNT, DCOUNT, SUM, and DSUM functions but have had no
luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I intend to specify what the name and text is. For example, I want to count
all the rows that have a value between 1 and 7 in Column A, a value of
"Smith" in column B, and a value of "Open" in Column C. I tried Don's
formula, but that didn't work.