Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JD JD is offline

Default RTD Advice

I'd like to update an excel workbook in real time with data from a
production line. I can have data I want available at an OPC server and
wondered if I
could have excel to get data directly from the OPC server.

We are using excel 2003 and I see that it has the facility for RTD and can
retrieve data from a COM automation server. Is an OPC server the same as a
COM automation server, or would I need to get an automation server to read
from the OPC server?

What is the best way of getting real time data from an OPC server into excel
in real time?

You can probably gather that I'm not that experienced in this area. I've
googled but not made much snese of the little that I have found

Thanks for any advice / guidance that you may be able to offer with this
project.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JD JD is offline

Thanks very much for the advice

Has any one here actually done it this way? is it a reliable method?

cheers

JD