Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sheet Protection and Book Recommendation

First a specific question using excel 2002:
I have some check boxes on a sheet to turn protection on and off for
about 20 other sheets. Now I would like to add code to do the
reverse. If the protection is manually turned off, I would like the code
to remove the check. Is there an event triggered by turning protection
on or off? Also, I can easily see how to check whether columns can
be inserted or a dozen other levels of protection, but I can't find how
to check the more basic, "is sheet protection on?" Help file and
google didn't seem to help.

Now a more general question and possibly a book recommendation:
The thing I like about vba is that other people's code is fairly readable
and with functioning code, it's relatively easy to use help to figure out
the parts I'm not familiar with. On the other hand., if you have an
idea but do not know the exact words to search for, I find it almost
impossible to figure out what to do. Of the vba books I've looked
at, most push a 1000 pages with 25% being programming 101, 50%
is a rehash of what the help file already tells me, and the useful 25%
is so disorganized I can't find anything quickly, and it could probably
be cut down to half the size if they would just get to the point.
At first I was thinking I would like a 200 page book where over
half of it was a very complete index. Now I'm thinking a helpfile
replacement with greatly enhanced indexing and search capabilities
where someone has manually cross referenced vba methods and
variables with English equivalents would be most useful.
Any thoughts or recommendations?
kcc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't know of any event that fires when a worksheet changes protection.

But maybe you could just populate the checkboxes each time the worksheet with
the checkboxes is activated.

Debra Dalgleish has a big list of books for excel at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

You may want to print the list and visit a bookstore or library looking for one
you like.

--

Dave Peterson