Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do you get a pivot table to do server-side processing?

Is there a way to get excel to do server-side processing for a pivot table?

Ryan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

More specifically, I have noticed that connecting to an OLAP cube when it
gets complex enough Excel on the client uses 100% CPU. I thought that all of
the OLAP would be processed on the server.

The status bar reads Running OLAP query...

" wrote:

Is there a way to get excel to do server-side processing for a pivot table?

Ryan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ryan,

The excel and pivotable are designed for the personal scenario, not server
side, which means if you use them in the server side which will evolve
hidden error into your solution. This kb article will introduces the
limitation for you:
257757 INFO: Considerations for Server-Side Automation of Office
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257757

Furthermore, pivottable, in fact, is the client control of OLAP service. So
if you are going to increase the performance, you should optimize your OLAP
server and make mostly all processing in the server side so that the client
side will spend little time on the calculation, which will give the user
one quick response UI.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any question.

Best Regards,
Wei-Dong Xu
Microsoft Product Support Services

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am not doing server side automation. I have an OLAP cube that when I
create a pivot table off of it in Excel and then make changes to it the
status bar reads "Running OLAP Query... (Press ESC to cancel.)" Excel
"hangs" taking 100% CPU for maybe 20-30 seconds. I thought that with OLAP
everything was done server-side and then just the results passed to Excel.
So why is excel "hanging" when it reads "Running OLAP Query..."? I have used
Filemon, Regmon, and Perfmon and it doesn't appear that Excel is even doing
anything during that time.

Is this by design? Even adding the parameters execution location = 3 and
default isolation mode=1 to the connection string doesn't seem to make a
difference.

In fact you already addressed this issue it appears at
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...gbl%26rnum%3D2
so the real question is, is there anything else that can be done or is it by
design?

Ryan

"Wei-Dong XU [MSFT]" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for posting more information regarding this issue!

Now for your scenario, I'd suggest this kb article could provide some
assistance for you.
307787 XL: Excel Stops Responding When You Create PivotTable from a Very
Large
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307787