Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default "unexpected error" when running solver from a macro

hi there,
i'm having trouble running the solver from a macro and i was wonderin
if you guys could help me with it

the error message is

"Solver: An unexpected internal error occured, or available memory wa
exhausted."

here's the code:

SolverReset
SolverAdd CellRef:=cellrefstring1, Relation:=2
FormulaText:=cellrefstring2
SolverOptions Iterations:=32767, Precision:=0.1, StepThru:=False
Estimates:=2, Derivatives:=1, SearchOption:=1, Scaling:=False
Convergence:=0.1, AssumeNonNeg:=False, AssumeLinear _
:=True
SolverOk MaxMinVal:=3, ValueOf:="0", ByChange:=bychangestring
SolverSolve

"cellrefstring1" and "bychangestring" are string-type variables.

running the macro line by line, i found that the error occurs after th
SolverOk line.
i also realised that if i dont leave the "SetCell" option empty, an
set it to a dummy cell (that isnt affected by the ByChange cells),
will not have this problem on my computer.

however this "workaround" didnt work on almost every other compute
i've tried. i use excel 2002. i've tried this code on a few machine
running excel 2002 and 2003.

i doubt it is a problem with referencing to solver.xla because i chec
this everytime before i run the macro on a different machine.

if this is an old problem that has been mentioned before, i woul
gladly do a readup if someone would give me directions or point me to
page/thread.

thanks in advanc

--
floodgat
floodgate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1477

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you run Solver once manually before calling it in code, does it then work
flawlessly when called from code? If so, then running this when your file opens
might "solve" your problem:

Sub AutoOpenSolver()
If Not SOLVER.Solver1.AutoOpened Then
SOLVER.Solver2.Auto_Open

I went round in circles with this problem, even contacting the Frontline Systems
people. Finally around 2:30 one fine morning, I saw an archived newsgroup post with
this code, and we've had no problems with Solver since then.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

floodgate wrote:

hi there,
i'm having trouble running the solver from a macro and i was wondering
if you guys could help me with it

the error message is

"Solver: An unexpected internal error occured, or available memory was
exhausted."

here's the code:

SolverReset
SolverAdd CellRef:=cellrefstring1, Relation:=2,
FormulaText:=cellrefstring2
SolverOptions Iterations:=32767, Precision:=0.1, StepThru:=False,
Estimates:=2, Derivatives:=1, SearchOption:=1, Scaling:=False,
Convergence:=0.1, AssumeNonNeg:=False, AssumeLinear _
:=True
SolverOk MaxMinVal:=3, ValueOf:="0", ByChange:=bychangestring
SolverSolve

"cellrefstring1" and "bychangestring" are string-type variables.

running the macro line by line, i found that the error occurs after the
SolverOk line.
i also realised that if i dont leave the "SetCell" option empty, and
set it to a dummy cell (that isnt affected by the ByChange cells), i
will not have this problem on my computer.

however this "workaround" didnt work on almost every other computer
i've tried. i use excel 2002. i've tried this code on a few machines
running excel 2002 and 2003.

i doubt it is a problem with referencing to solver.xla because i check
this everytime before i run the macro on a different machine.

if this is an old problem that has been mentioned before, i would
gladly do a readup if someone would give me directions or point me to a
page/thread.

thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have got the same problem with running Solver from a
macro. I have isolated the problem as a failiure of the
SolverOK function to populate the target and changing
cells in the dialogue box. If the solver was previouly run
manually and cell addresses are retained in the boxes then
the macro will appear to run. If SolverReset is used
before running the Solver code it certainly not work. The
SolverAdd function does populate the constraints box. This
leads me to conclude it is a Mirosoft bug. How does one go
about letting them know?

floodgate wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This does not solver anything, but I thought I might share something with
you.
I now have Office 2003 running on Win xp Pro w/ Service Pack #2.

I tried an experiment that was discussed before. In my Personal.xls file
that is located in the xlstart folder, I set a vba reference to Solver, made
Personal.xls hidden, and closed Excel.

Basically, that file is now gone! Windows & Excel will not let me open or
use that file. I can't figure out how to recover that file.
Tomorrow, I'll experiment with a lower security setting, and also work as a
logged on Administrator. Right now, I run my programs in windows without
"Administrator" privileges.

I have noticed a lot of problems now when running programs when you are not
logged in as an administrator. I believe this is the preferred way to run
your everyday programs according to Microsoft. But... it is causing a lot
of problems & headaches.

The only kb article that discusses your error is:

XL2000: The Solver Add-in May Not Work When You Start Solver by Using a
Macro
http://support.microsoft.com/default...30&Product=xlw

Good luck to us both.
Dana DeLouis

[...]