Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem with post-style web query

OS: Windows NT 4, SP6A
Excel: 10.2614.2625 (Office XP)
IE: 6.0.2800.1106

Hi all,

I'm dealing with the following problem:

www.CBOE.com has changed his website structure and I dicovered 2
changes.
1. The URL has changed,
2. The filename (to download) has changed.

* My old web query:
WEB
1
http://quoteservice.cboe.com/QuoteTable.dat

* My new web query:
WEB
1
http://www.cboe.com/delayedQuote/QuoteData.dat

* MY PROBLEM:
Right now I'm unable to retreive a QuoteData.dat file via Excel web
query with a required symbol (PostText value in VBA)

* The new page to enter the request manually (web form) is
http://www.cboe.com/delayedQuote/Quo...eDownload.aspx

* Here is my code:

Sub ini_quotes()
'Initialize Quotes

Dim DR As Object 'Data Range
Dim PTV As String 'PostText Value

PTV = "Ticker=" & Range("QS") 'Example Ticker=MSFT
With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
"FINDER;C:\Temp\SSSKAT22\Filter.iqy",
Destination:=Range("A1"))
.Name = "DR"
.PostText = PTV
.Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False '<<-- UNABLE TO RETREIVE THE
QUOTEDATA.DAT FILE!
End With
End Sub

Unfortunately CBOE.com refused to help me:
"I apologize but we cannot assist you with that because we do not
allow the query you are attempting to perform because of the load it
can place on our
servers, and because of other additional security concerns. I
apologize for the inconvenience."

Has someone have an idea/suggestion how to solve this issue?
Thanks in advance for any comments!

Kind regards,

- Bas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

I have encountered the same problem. My suspicion is that
the Excel web query is now too primitive to be used as a
download automation tool to handle the switch from a CGI
script to an active server page, in view of the stated
desire of the CBOE to reduce the load on their server.
Wininet or some other approach that can more closely
emulate a browser (perhaps handle cookies) might be
necessary. Since writing my original VBA code some years
ago, my programming skills and knowledge have atrophied
considerably, so this is only an uninformed guess.
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Bas Bas is offline

Hello,
Thanks for your feedback! Should you know a good & licencefree VBA code
to do this, please let me know!
Thanks again!

- Bas