Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Stop 'Disable Macros'

I'm trying to protect a small excel based application I've written. I've
got a password routine set up that utilises the Registry. It all works fine,
except that if the user disables macros on start up they can run the app,
although not very well without the macros. I want to stop the excel workbook
opening if they try to disable macros. Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks, BowMag

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have exactly the same problem. What I have tested but have yet to
implement is the following:

Create a new worksheet on which you shoe the text box message (big
font/red)telling users to enable Macros and how to do it. Protect the
worksheet if you wish.

Hide your real worksheets

Your opening Macro will then unhide the real worksheets, and hide the
message (that order)

Your closing macro will do the reverse.

"BowMag" wrote:

I'm trying to protect a small excel based application I've written. I've
got a password routine set up that utilises the Registry. It all works fine,
except that if the user disables macros on start up they can run the app,
although not very well without the macros. I want to stop the excel workbook
opening if they try to disable macros. Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks, BowMag

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JMCS
Just re-read this old post.
Interesting - I'll have a go.

BTW, there's a discussion about this on John Walkenbach's website.
BowMag

"BowMag" wrote:

I'm trying to protect a small excel based application I've written. I've
got a password routine set up that utilises the Registry. It all works
fine,
except that if the user disables macros on start up they can run the app,
although not very well without the macros. I want to stop the excel
workbook
opening if they try to disable macros. Is there any way of doing this?

Thanks, BowMag

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Been using this for a long while. Works great for my purpose. One downside
though: you have to either forcefully save the file at closing after hiding
your sheets and unhiding the warning or not to allow save at all.

Regards,
KL