Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to creating certificate for the compagny only

He
We use office XP and plan to update to office 2003. It
runs on XP pro workstations and Win 2000 servers.
I have created a self-cert and I can test our templates
with the securety set to high in excel 2003. But no other
in our organisation can use my cert.
?
Is it possible for the adminstrator to create a "self"
certificate to use all over our compagny only, and then
place it on the server?
And if yse: How?
Sorry not only an Excel-question, but I hope that someone
can help.
Thanks
Callevib
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Callevib

In theory it's possible to export a signature and import it on another
machine, by using Internet Explorer. See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ty/o2ksec.mspx
on this. I believe you'll have to do that operation on each individual Pc.

I say "in theory" because I tried it once (only) from my old to my new pc,
and after that nothing related worked at all, not signing, not selfcert. I
had to reinstall the whole system and create a brand new signature. Maybe
that was only bad luck though, but test first carefully on two non-critical
machines.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Callevib" skrev i melding
He
We use office XP and plan to update to office 2003. It
runs on XP pro workstations and Win 2000 servers.
I have created a self-cert and I can test our templates
with the securety set to high in excel 2003. But no other
in our organisation can use my cert.
?
Is it possible for the adminstrator to create a "self"
certificate to use all over our compagny only, and then
place it on the server?
And if yse: How?
Sorry not only an Excel-question, but I hope that someone
can help.
Thanks
Callevib

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Grüezi Callevib

Callevib schrieb am 22.09.2004

We use office XP and plan to update to office 2003. It
runs on XP pro workstations and Win 2000 servers.
I have created a self-cert and I can test our templates
with the securety set to high in excel 2003. But no other
in our organisation can use my cert.

That's 'normal' for certificates created with selfcert - they are mainly to
avoid the macro able/disable dialog for spreadsheets you created yourself.

Is it possible for the adminstrator to create a "self"
certificate to use all over our compagny only, and then
place it on the server?
And if yse: How?

Maybe the following is a possibility (beside payable certificates from ie
VeriSign):

http://www.abylonsoft.com/produkt_ue...ht.htm#subSelf

--
Regards

Thomas Ramel
- MVP for Microsoft-Excel -

[Win XP Pro SP-1 / xl2000 SP-3]
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Callevib,
I have generally been able export/import these self certs without too much
difficulty.
However, if the project is signed, then edited, by someone else, I have
experienced problems that seems inconsistent.

NickHK

"Harald Staff" wrote in message
Hi Callevib

In theory it's possible to export a signature and import it on another
machine, by using Internet Explorer. See

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro.../maintain/secu
rity/o2ksec.mspx
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"NickHK" skrev i melding
I have generally been able export/import these self certs without too much
difficulty.

Glad to hear that.

However, if the project is signed, then edited, by someone else, I have
experienced problems that seems inconsistent.

Not glad to hear that. Seems that these things are depending on luck or on
mysterious environmental conditions. Well, most things in life probably
are...

Best wishes Harald