Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Joe Joe is offline

Default COM Addin doesn't link to workbook

I am using Excel 2002.

I wrote a COM Addin in VB 6 and have set it to load on Excel's startup. I
have a sales person for whom this simple does not work. When I manually go
into Excel on her machine and manually load the COM Addin, Excel doesn't
retain the reference. If I load it, close Excel, reopen Excel and check to
see if it is still loaded, it isn't; if I load it and then check immediately
afterwards to see if it is still loaded (before closing Excel), it isn't.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going on here? If I need to provide
more information, please let me know.

TIA,

--
Joe

VBA Automation/VB/C++/Web and DB development
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Joe,

I wrote a COM Addin in VB 6 and have set it to load on Excel's startup. I
have a sales person for whom this simple does not work. When I manually go
into Excel on her machine and manually load the COM Addin, Excel doesn't
retain the reference. If I load it, close Excel, reopen Excel and check to
see if it is still loaded, it isn't; if I load it and then check immediately
afterwards to see if it is still loaded (before closing Excel), it isn't.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going on here? If I need to provide
more information, please let me know.

This is pure guesswork, but:

(a) Is her registry access blocked? The DLL needs to write to the registry to
store its load behaviour etc.

(b) Is the dll blocked by Excel (check in Help About Disabled items)

(c) Is there any code in the OnConnection event that's causing the dll to fail?

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.ie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Joe,

An excellent guess! The problem was that Excel disabled the dll. But why?

Any ideas?

No idea. I think Excel puts anything there that it believes caused it to
crash. I haven't seen any documentation about how Excel makes that decision,
though. It is usually OK to simply re-enable the dll/file.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel
www.BMSLtd.ie