Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Format cell or script?

my question is this. I am trying to have standard data throughout my
worksheet, ie when i input a phone #, it will always appear as (321)
456-7890. I tried formatting the cell and that works when data is typed in.
However, the majority of the data will be copied and pasted into the
worksheet. Do formatted cells not work for pasted data? Is writing a quick
script the only way to accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Scooter,

If the copied data is pasted using the Edit | Paste Special | Values
option, the underlying cell formats will be retained.

---
Regards,
Norman

"scooter" wrote in message
my question is this. I am trying to have standard data throughout my
worksheet, ie when i input a phone #, it will always appear as (321)
456-7890. I tried formatting the cell and that works when data is typed
in.
However, the majority of the data will be copied and pasted into the
worksheet. Do formatted cells not work for pasted data? Is writing a
quick
script the only way to accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First, thank you for the quick response.
However, I tried using the Edit | Paste Special | Values and the format was
lost. I also tried typing in 123.456.7890 into the foratted cell and the
underlying format was not reconized.
I am at the point that I may start trying to script for my result. Any
suggestions.

Thank you.

"scooter" wrote in message
my question is this. I am trying to have standard data throughout my
worksheet, ie when i input a phone #, it will always appear as (321)
456-7890. I tried formatting the cell and that works when data is typed
in.
However, the majority of the data will be copied and pasted into the
worksheet. Do formatted cells not work for pasted data? Is writing a
quick
script the only way to accomplish this?

Thanks in Advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Scooter,

I also tried typing in 123.456.7890 into the foratted cell and the
underlying format was not reconized.

If you have set a suitable format, your number should be imputted, without
punctuation, as:

1234567890

However, I tried using the Edit | Paste Special | Values and the format
was lost.

If source cells are copied and then pasted (using Paste Special, Values),
the format of the destination cells cannot be overwritten!

---
Regards,
Norman