Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Most Common Name In Column Using Cell formular

Hi folks.....

I have a list of names that may have duplicates.
I need to write a formular in a cell that will return the most commonl
used name.

ie.

Jack
John
Fred
Bill
Jack
John
Steve
Jack

As in the column above the most commonly used name is "Jack"
Is there a formular or combination of formular that I can enter into
cell or cells that will give me the same result?

Thanks for your help.

Celtic_Avenger
:confused

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:13:26 -0500, Celtic_Avenger
wrote:

Hi folks.....

I have a list of names that may have duplicates.
I need to write a formular in a cell that will return the most commonly
used name.

ie.

Jack
John
Fred
Bill
Jack
John
Steve
Jack

As in the column above the most commonly used name is "Jack"
Is there a formular or combination of formular that I can enter into a
cell or cells that will give me the same result?

Thanks for your help.

If your names are in a range named rng, you could use the array-entered formula
to find the first name that is the most commonly occurring:

=INDEX(rng,MATCH(MAX(COUNTIF(rng,rng)),COUNTIF(rng ,rng),0))

To array-enter a formula, hold down <ctrl<shift while hitting <enter. XL
will place braces {...} around the formula.

--ron