Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Credit Where it's Due

Hello All,

This is a general Thank You to all users of this group.
I am one of those ( and there must be many like me) who programs
occasionally.
"We" generally work in a small, and I mean small, business that can't afford
a full time programmer.
Also, "we", having finished a program that works (only just), are
immediately expected to move on to do other, more important, duties.
Sometime later we are asked to revise the previous program to include other
things, or to program something else.

In the meantime, we've lost touch and have to "reverse engineer" the code
that we wrote in order to understand it! (not being given the time to
properly document it ! :-)) Also, being "part-timers" we have never, and
never will, become truly proficient programmers.

What a godsend it is to such as we that a group such as this exists. Just to
log on and browse the posts and responses in itself refreshes much of what's
been forgotten. As it all comes "flooding back" I even find myself offering
advice - usually, (but not always mind you !), being superseded, or
preceded, by a more elegant, and accurate, solution.

For the things that don't come back, or, more than likely, were never there
in the first place, there is the comfort of knowing that a post usually
results in a swift solution, either from fellow strugglers or from the truly
gifted "regulars". With regard to the latter (I won't mention names as I'm
sure to miss someone) many of them are professional programmers in one way
or another. That they impart such knowledge, both within the group and on
their web sites, is truly commendable. Surely it would be a lot easier not
to bother and to charge for their expertise. As for the fellow strugglers ?
Ah well, there's more to life than a dodgy Macro!

Soon I'll be off another (non-programming) assignment. Hope you'll all be
here when I get back!

Oh, while I'm here, can someone tell me what's the best way to copy a
non-contiguous range . . . . . . . Oops, sorry, I remember seeing an answer
in another post.

regards,
Don.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well said, Don. When I first discovered this newsgroup a couple of years
ago, it seemed miraculous to have such instant access to such gracious
expertise, and it still does.

Doug Glancy.

"Don Lloyd" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well said. Advice and links have helped me improve my skills greatly over
the last couple years. (And saved the day in sticky situations as well).
Thanks to all.

Alex J