Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ww ww is offline

Default Posting through Google versus Newsgroup

Hello

I am not a newbie to the group (I am most grateful that it exists!)
but my company does not support access to newsgroups. Company policy
prevents me from accessing the newsgroup as would I normally.

I therefore access through google, but I find that it is not possible
to have a dynamic dialogue. I post a request (or a reply) but I am
then kicked into the "DevelopersDex" to see the answer. No further
dialogue is possible.

Is that the only way to have a dialogue with the newsgroup if one does
not have access to a news server? Are there other options?

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I am a behind a corporate firewall that doesn't allow communication on
port 119 either.

I created excelforums.com to synch up with the newsgroups every 60
seconds. Unfortunately, the difference between a discussion board
like PHPBB and the newgroups is that newsgroups are based on threads,
whereas discussion boards are more like topics and replies.

However with some tweaking, like not allowing a subject to be modified
on a reply, the synch procedure does a pretty good job matching
replies to topics.

So... if you need access to the MS Excel newsgroups, check out
www.excelforums.com

Cheers
Balazs
---------
Message sent via www.excelforums.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
WW WW is offline

OK, well I know now that I am not alone. I signed up to
Developersdex.com and I will certainly check out excelforums.com as
well.

Thanks