Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default "Comment" in an "Oval" ?

Hi Bob,
It is possible to put text into shapes. In fact a text box is a shape.
Bring up the Drawing toolbar, and select oval then draw the
oval on the worksheet by selecting the upper left hand corner
(of a containing rectangle) and drag the cursor to enlarge the
oval.

To populate with text. Right click on the border of of the oval,
insert text. If you don't have a hyperlink, the left click would
do the same - but I think it's better to use the rightclick.

There are no red mark associated with the oval.
---
HTH,

"Bob Barnes" wrote in message ...
I am an Access Developer.

If you place an "Oval" on a Worksheet, you can also add text to it (but
the text displays constantly).

Is there a way to assign a "Comment" (like in a celll w/ the "red marks"
in the upper-left corner of the cell) so either clicking the Oval (or placing
the mouse over the Oval) would display a message?

TIA - Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To add a message on the click event create a module and add the following code:

Public Sub Message()
Worksheets("Sheet 1").Shapes.Range("Oval 1").Select
Selection.Characters.Text = "Oh Happy Day..."
End Sub

Right click on the oval and assign this macro to the oval...

"Bob Barnes" wrote in message ...
I am an Access Developer.

If you place an "Oval" on a Worksheet, you can also add text to it (but
the text displays constantly).

Is there a way to assign a "Comment" (like in a celll w/ the "red marks"
in the upper-left corner of the cell) so either clicking the Oval (or placing
the mouse over the Oval) would display a message?

TIA - Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob,
Sorry hadn't noticed this was the programming group. Record
a macro, but unfortunately I didn't really read the question either.

I take it that you want the means to hide and to unhide the shape.
The problem is that you need to know the name of the shape.
I guess you could do something bizarre like naming the shape
in a text box and using that. Would you know what the
upper left hand corner of the shape is when the shape is hidden.

If you want so always see the shape but hide the text, you might
change the font color to white or whatever it takes to match the background
so it doesn't display on the screen but watch out for Print B&W if you print.

---
HTH,

"Bob Barnes" wrote in message ...
I am an Access Developer.

If you place an "Oval" on a Worksheet, you can also add text to it (but
the text displays constantly).

Is there a way to assign a "Comment" (like in a celll w/ the "red marks"
in the upper-left corner of the cell) so either clicking the Oval (or placing
the mouse over the Oval) would display a message?

TIA - Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe Bob is looking for a ToolTip type of display, ie when hovering
ontop of the shape, to have a tooltip or somthing like a Comment object to
display.

I don't think Excel allows comments for SHape objects. However, the trick
you can use it to have an empty hyperlink associated with the shape:
Here, i set a hyperlink to the shape called 'Oval 1' of the active sheet
- displays "Display This Text" in a tooltip when hovering over the oval.
- set the SubAddress to empty string "" so that clciking the shape goes
nowhere.

ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=ActiveSheet.Shapes("Oval 1"), _
Address:="", SubAddress:="", ScreenTip:="Display This Text"

I hope this helps,
Sébastien

"Bob Barnes" wrote in message ...
I am an Access Developer.

If you place an "Oval" on a Worksheet, you can also add text to it (but
the text displays constantly).

Is there a way to assign a "Comment" (like in a celll w/ the "red marks"
in the upper-left corner of the cell) so either clicking the Oval (or placing
the mouse over the Oval) would display a message?

TIA - Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Doug.
Sbastien