Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to turn on Personal.xls

The personal.xls workbook is typically hidden. Are you sure it
is not merely hidden rather than not opened at all?

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"simsjr" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a co-worker who's Personal workbook appears to be

disabled, or
doesn't start with Excel. We're using Excel 97.

Is there a way to turn it back on? I can't store macros there

until I do.

Many thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"simsjr" wrote in message
I'm pretty certain it's just not there at all. For example, I'll start
Excel
and go to the "Window" menu where one would normally look for the "Hide"
or
"Unhide" option to reveal the personal workbook. However, "Unhide" is
grayed
out (disabled) in this case.

Start recording a macro in any open workbook. When the macro record dialog
box pops up, you have the option to save the macro in the current workbook,
a new workbook or the Personal.xls workbook. If you select the Personal.xls
workbook as the place to save the macro, Excel will create the Personal.xls
file if it doesn't already exist. If you've recorded or saved previous
macros in the Personal.xls workbook and fear that you may have lost it,
simply perform a search for the Personal.xls workbook. My experience has
been that there are a couple of places where Excel might store the
Personal.xls file. So doing a search is most practical, imo.

HTH.

-gk-