Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Code Centralization

I have many custom functions that I have written over the past year, and
many versions of the same functions distributed across various files
depending on when I wrote the file. This is bad. I would like to be
able to update all of those functions with the most current version.
However, doing that is very hard. And writing a program to go through
all the code of all the projects in a particular directory and prompting
to update with the new version is tedious.

I think a better approach is to have all the common functions that I
like to use in some central place. However, I do write code for Access
and Outlook, so I can't just store all of my code in an .xla file.
Perhaps a VB6 DLL or VB.NET addin. But other people in the office also
use these files, in which case they would need to install the DLL or
downloaded the .NET framework. I have experience writing in those
languages with the editors, so that would not be a problem should I
choose to do that. However, I have no experience distributing DLLs or
..NET compiled code, and I am afraid that pain might outweigh the costs.

Is there an option I am missing? If not, can someone with experience
with the above tell me just how difficult the distribution and dealing
with updates, etc, can be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Robert Avery
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

Code must reside in the vb editor. DLL's are data link
libraries meaning that they just hold reference data for
programs like colors, fonts, other. I do so wish i could
put all the code i have written and stick it in one place
and be able to call it when i want and run it where i want
but it just don't work that way. sorry.

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Code must reside in the vb editor. DLL's are data link
libraries meaning that they just hold reference data for
programs like colors, fonts, other.

That is not true. DLLs are Dynamic Link Libraries (not Data Link
Libraries), and typically hold code, not data. With VB6, you can
can create ActiveX DLLs that contain one or more creatable
objects (those things instantiated with Set X As New Obj or
CreateObject).

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson