Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Turn off file numbering

Hello
Is there a way to turn off Excels way of naming files?
Ex: If you open a workbook and close it, the next workbook is Book2, then
Book3 etc.
Without closing the application, I need to open a book that was just closed,
but when it comes up, its called talktime1.xls, talktime2.xls instead of
talktime.xls.

Problem is is that when I try to save the workbook (talktime1.xls), I get an
error saying it can't find the file (I think because it is a temp file).

Thank you
Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
N10 N10 is offline

Hi Terry

I find this al little hard to follow really . Could you clarify.:)

N10

"Terry V" wrote in message
Hello
Is there a way to turn off Excels way of naming files?
Ex: If you open a workbook and close it, the next workbook is Book2, then
Book3 etc.
Without closing the application, I need to open a book that was just
closed,
but when it comes up, its called talktime1.xls, talktime2.xls instead of
talktime.xls.

Problem is is that when I try to save the workbook (talktime1.xls), I get
an
error saying it can't find the file (I think because it is a temp file).

Thank you
Terry

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Main file = Talktime.xls
This is the first file to be opened. It contains all the code etc for
saving other files after data has been entered.

After data has been entered, the user can click on a commandbutton and it
will save the file as "Talk Time currentdate -- currenttime.xls".
The user has the choice to continue working with the workbook or to
save/close the workbook and open the original back up (with no data).

The problem is that when it opens the original workbook (Talktime.xls) it is
now called Talktime1.xls. (the other workbook is saved and closed).
When the user clicks on the Save/close button again (with the talktime.xls
file opened), excel cannot find the file because my code has a global
variable in it that delcares the value of the "thisworkbook.path" when the
code first begins to run. (This way I can keep the original path to the
original file before it goes into the saving part of the code (which changes
the path of the file).

In essence, what is happening is just what Excel does when you open more
than 1 book during an "Application session"; it names the new workbooks
"Book1, Book2, Book3 etc until you close the application and reopen it.

I can get my code to find the original file in its original place, but when
it opens, it is called Talktime1.xls instead of Talktime.xls.

I hope this clarifies it somewhat.

Thank you
Terry