Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Shell command in VBA suddenly stops working

I have called an external process for many years using the Shell
command in VBA.

Suddenly yesterday it stopped working. I get a

Run Time error '5'
Invalid procedure call or argument.

On debug the return value is empty.
I use the fully qualified name for the external exe file.

Please I am at a loss. I have tried various help systems and got
nowhere. Is it a permissions thing?

Ian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is a shot in the dark, but did you recently install Windows XP
SP2? Or some other Office related update? Perhaps, it tightens
security around the VB(A) use of Shell...

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I have called an external process for many years using the Shell
command in VBA.

Suddenly yesterday it stopped working. I get a

Run Time error '5'
Invalid procedure call or argument.

On debug the return value is empty.
I use the fully qualified name for the external exe file.

Please I am at a loss. I have tried various help systems and got
nowhere. Is it a permissions thing?

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have recently added SP3 for office. However this did not cure the
fault. The situation before and after are the same. I also uninstalled
and reinstalled Office and this did no good either.

Junior Member

Please has any one found a solution to this problem I am having a similar issue.

Data Validation in XL2007 suddenly stops functioning ker_01 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 January 29th 10 11:58 PM
Shell command MAx Excel Programming 2 June 4th 04 04:11 PM
Shell command stopped working: is it part of Excel 95 , or Windows? Charles Jordan Excel Programming 9 May 4th 04 06:39 AM
xp shell command using vba Sudhendra Excel Programming 2 February 16th 04 05:56 AM
WindowStyle not working in shell command KLC Excel Programming 1 November 10th 03 10:10 PM