Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reading from an Excel Document

How do I programatically read from an excel document?

I need my application to read from several columns in an
excel spreadsheet..

TIA!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Take a look at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm

If you just look at each cell in an area the direction
is left to right across a row and continue in the next
row of the area. But you program the order differently,
down and across, backwards, etc.

Without something specific to go on, there is no specific
advice that I can offer. I'd probably point you to a web
page anyway but which one would depend on your purpose.

What is the purpose?
What do you want to read, what do you want to do with
what you read from the worksheet. Do you want to
manually make a selection beforehand, or is the program
going to pick a specific address range.

Do you know how to install and use a macro, that's not
usually something one has to ask here.
---
HTH,

"Jabba Jaw" wrote in message ...
How do I programatically read from an excel document?

I need my application to read from several columns in an
excel spreadsheet..

TIA!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

thanks for the quick reply!

What I want to do is have a custom app read from an excel
file generated by a legacy system and then update project
plans with the specific dates put out by the legacy
system... so column A has a unique ID (for each plan) and
column B (for example) has start dates (xx/xx/xxxx) ...

I want my custom app to read the unique ID open that plan
then change the start date for that plan based on the
date in column B (same row)...

Any advice, ideas...etc...?

Thanks again!

If you just look at each cell in an area the direction
is left to right across a row and continue in the next
row of the area. But you program the order differently,
down and across, backwards, etc.

Without something specific to go on, there is no specific
advice that I can offer. I'd probably point you to a

web
page anyway but which one would depend on your purpose.

What is the purpose?
What do you want to read, what do you want to do with
what you read from the worksheet. Do you want to
manually make a selection beforehand, or is the program
going to pick a specific address range.

Do you know how to install and use a macro, that's not
usually something one has to ask here.
---
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed

Nov. 2001]
My Excel Pages:

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
Search Page: