Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Counting Values

Hi,

I have a sorted column of thousands of credit card numbers. I want
Excel to count for me the credit card number that shows up, say, more
than 3 times. And I also want Excel to fill in a cell to show the
credit card number and the number of times it showed up. How do I do
that?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Daniel,

The following is so quick it is hard to believe...

Add a title directly above the list
Select the title and list
Go to Data | Pivot Table
On the layout view, drag the title to the row field.
AND drag the title to the data field.
"OK" and "Finish" your way out of the pivot table.

You will have a list of all the part numbers with the count for each.
This can be copied and pasted where you want.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA

"Daniel" wrote in message om...
Hi,
I have a sorted column of thousands of credit card numbers. I want
Excel to count for me the credit card number that shows up, say, more
than 3 times. And I also want Excel to fill in a cell to show the
credit card number and the number of times it showed up. How do I do
that?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could also sort the column of credit card numbers "A
to Z" and then choose "DATA";"SUBTOTALS" in the menu.
Set up the subtotals window to "COUNT" each change in
credit card number.

.