Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Best Book in VBA?

Hi everyone,

What is the best book in Excel VBA?

To make it easier, it has to be full of a-z examples or, even better,
adopts learn-by-example methodology for both VBA beginners and
professionals.

Regards,
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Follow-Up: Best Book in VBA?

Mike -- I'll suggest for you ...

Excel Power Programming with VBA

(various editions) - John WALKENBACH

Hope it Helps,

- Rodney POWELL

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Beyond Technology

Spring, Texas USA

www.BeyondTechnology.com

"Michael" wrote in message om...
Hi everyone,

What is the best book in Excel VBA?

To make it easier, it has to be full of a-z examples or, even better,
adopts learn-by-example methodology for both VBA beginners and
professionals.

Regards,
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I use John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Power Programming With
VBA. (He has one for each version of Excel). It's a big
book, but easy reading. I found it was best to read it
from the beginning and mark pages that I thought would be
useful later. It comes with a CD which includes numerous
examples for each chapter.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Building Integrated Office Applications.
Gordon Padwick, et al. Feb. 1996.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
Ok, it may be a little out of date, but it is how I understood object models
and inter-application control. I judge all books by this one.

5-Star - A heavily dog-eared and marked up book on my shelf., September 26,
2001

Reviewer: Magrathea78 (Houston, TX, USA) - See all my reviews

My thanks to Gordon Padwick. Integrated Office Application lifted the veil
from my eyes and I finally understood how to control one MS Office
application from another. It has great, practical examples of how to control
Excel from Access, Access from Excel, Excel from Word, etc. Learning about
CopyFromRecordset (an Excel Range method) was enough to justify purchase of
this book! I grok it now.

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

What is the best book in Excel VBA?

To make it easier, it has to be full of a-z examples or, even better,
adopts learn-by-example methodology for both VBA beginners and
professionals.

Regards,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I normally flip between John Walkenbach's book (already mentioned) and

John Green, Stephen Bullen and Felipe Mrtins: Excel 2000 VBA

I find the second book has a nice contrasting style (writing and coding) and
depending upon my mood (highly unstable) I alternate between each book.
However, it doesn't have a CD full of examples. Something hopefully the
authors will rectify if/when they update their book.

The biggest problem with learning VBA is the language. Once you know what
you are looking for then the google search engine add-in by Ron de Bruin
saves me a lot of time looking up books

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

What is the best book in Excel VBA?

To make it easier, it has to be full of a-z examples or, even better,
adopts learn-by-example methodology for both VBA beginners and
professionals.

Regards,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

biggest problem with learning VBA is the language.<<

That reminds me of another favorite book: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy. Every programmer should read it. "Once you know the question,
you'll know what the answer means."

There was a passage about time travel and how it never caught on. The
physics were straight forward. The crippling issue was one of *grammer*.

In VBA's case, the grammer is straight forward, but the nouns, verbs, and
adjectives (objects, methods, and properties) are the obtuse things.

The biggest hurdle in learning VBA is to know to replace "Selection"
everywhere in the macro recorded code with a legitimate object. Then VBE
intellisense can assist.

Stephen Rasey
Houston
http://excelsig.org

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

What is the best book in Excel VBA?

To make it easier, it has to be full of a-z examples or, even better,
adopts learn-by-example methodology for both VBA beginners and
professionals.

Regards,
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What a coincidence! BBC will broadcase new episodes of the Hitchhiker's
Guide to the Galaxy.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/
First Broadcast is Sept 21. Available on the internet.

Stephen Rasey
aka Magrathea78