Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default What Book to buy?

Gday All

Ok I need help with deciding what book to buy to help me program i
excel VBA?

I went to the book shop today and there are so many but I don’t know i
they are going to be helpful enough for myself.

I want a book that will help me program in macros and have a list o
functions?

So what type of books do you all have? And what’s good about them? Wha
do they have that is useful?

I am more interested in a book that is about excel VBA scripting
macros and not so much on graphics. I want the book to have a list o
functions that explain what they do and worked examples.

I know forums have their own books but I need to know more because
thought I knew what book to buy but going down to the book shop I go
lost and didn’t know which book to buy.

Cheers,

Aussiexce

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

There are quite a few recommendations in the archives:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_gr...=group:*excel*

I'm particularly fond of "Excel 2002 Power Programming with VBA" by John
Walkenbach, and "Excel 2002 VBA: Programmers Reference" by John Green,
Stephen Bullen, Rob Bovey, and Robert Rosenberg.

In article ,
Aussiexcel wrote:

Gday All

Ok I need help with deciding what book to buy to help me program in
excel VBA?

I went to the book shop today and there are so many but I don’t know if
they are going to be helpful enough for myself.

I want a book that will help me program in macros and have a list of
functions?

So what type of books do you all have? And what’s good about them? What
do they have that is useful?

I am more interested in a book that is about excel VBA scripting,
macros and not so much on graphics. I want the book to have a list of
functions that explain what they do and worked examples.

I know forums have their own books but I need to know more because I
thought I knew what book to buy but going down to the book shop I got
lost and didn’t know which book to buy.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In books you won't find what you're looking for, and what you don't need is
there.
Just search the web; there are thousands of tutorials, all for nothing,
always update.

"Aussiexcel " schreef in bericht
[...]

Aussiexcel

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I endorse JE's recommendation on the VBA Programmer's Reference. It won't
fit your bill exactly, but with the online help it should cover what you
need.

There is a 2003 version out now which is quite a bit bigger than previous,
but not checked out what has been added yet.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Aussiexcel " wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Given the myriad ways that people learn, your statement is remarkably
silly (except for the existence of thousands of free tutorials, which,
IMO, are mostly terrible).

In article ,
"merlin" wrote:

In books you won't find what you're looking for, and what you don't need is
there.
Just search the web; there are thousands of tutorials, all for nothing,
always update.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Aussiexcel,
Check out your local libary and see which publisher or series most closely
suits your needs and level.
Then go and spend your hard earned cash.

NickHK

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From what I heard, the 2003 version wasn't written by the original authors
(even though they are listed) - I assume that the manuscript from the 2002
version forms the foundation of the book, but any additions were apparently
by Paul Kimmel who is shown as the first author. Doesn't mean it isn't a
good book - I haven't seen it.

Tom Ogilvy