Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Find intersection point using lables?

I am trying to work a macro which will do the work for me (go figure).

Here is the easy example. I have a worksheet which has a 3 columns an
a bunch of rows: the column headings are " ", "total", "add-on"
the rows then consist of "mike","1,000","200"... then next ro
"cindy","1,230","23" etc

I would like a different worksheet to have a macro button that ca
take the data and put it into a new table and stuff.

I was thinking along the lines of creating labels on the top and left
and then referencing the numbers according to the labels.

For instance =intersect("total","mike") would produce 1,000

Any ideas on how to get this to work? Obviously using absolut
refernces like "B2" would work but the worksheets cell locations ma
vary thats why I was thinking making labels would work.

Thanks a bunch!
Mik

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On the First sheet, Select the entire table including the Column Headings.
Excel Menu: Insert, Name, Create,
Check Left Side, Top Row.

You will create 1x2 range_names based upon the "label" in the first cell on
the left.

Now your second page should be =Intersect(range1, range2)
where range1 is Indirect("mike"), range2 is Indirect("Total")
or just "=range1 range2"

Stephen Rasey
Houston
http://wiserways.com
http://excelsig.org

"mpjohnston " wrote in message
I am trying to work a macro which will do the work for me (go figure).

Here is the easy example. I have a worksheet which has a 3 columns and
a bunch of rows: the column headings are " ", "total", "add-on"
the rows then consist of "mike","1,000","200"... then next row
"cindy","1,230","23" etc

I would like a different worksheet to have a macro button that can
take the data and put it into a new table and stuff.

I was thinking along the lines of creating labels on the top and left.
and then referencing the numbers according to the labels.

For instance =intersect("total","mike") would produce 1,000

Any ideas on how to get this to work? Obviously using absolute
refernces like "B2" would work but the worksheets cell locations may
vary thats why I was thinking making labels would work.

Thanks a bunch!
Mike

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Also see the responses to the posts in .misc and .worksheet.functions.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article , mpjohnston
says...
I am trying to work a macro which will do the work for me (go figure).

Here is the easy example. I have a worksheet which has a 3 columns and
a bunch of rows: the column headings are " ", "total", "add-on"
the rows then consist of "mike","1,000","200"... then next row
"cindy","1,230","23" etc

{snip}