Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how to hide a chart series or make it invisible

I want to make some chart series invisible (hide them), and then later
restore them.

Is there an easy way to do this without messing with a whole lot of chart
series formatting properties?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy
Austin, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I may have answered my own question.

How about to hide a series redefine the Values property to point to some
empty worksheet cells. Then to unhide restore the original Values property
which I suppose could be a Range, Name or Array. Maybe save the
Series.Formula property and use that to restore the Values property.

Brian

"Brian Murphy" wrote in message
I want to make some chart series invisible (hide them), and then later
restore them.

Is there an easy way to do this without messing with a whole lot of chart
series formatting properties?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy
Austin, Texas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you just toggle the hidden status of the column or row
containing the source data it will hide/unhide the series.
Ensure that the "Plot visible cells only" option is
selected. Access this option through Tools|Options|Chart
tab. Activate the chart first to enable the checkbox.

Note that the Autofilter, by virtue of the fact that it
hides/unhides rows, can thus be used to select the data to
display.

Regards,
Greg

I want to make some chart series invisible (hide them),

and then later
restore them.

Is there an easy way to do this without messing with a

whole lot of chart
series formatting properties?

Thanks,

Brian Murphy
Austin, Texas

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Greg,

In my case there are logistical problems with hiding the column
containing the data. Here's what I've done:

1. save the .Formula property for the series in a string variable.
2. reassign the .Values property to an empty cell. This hides the
series.
3. To restore it I put a zero in the empty cell
4. reset the .Formula property using the saved string.
5. clear the zero from the cell I was using.

This is working well through my testing so far.

Brian