Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default An efficient find function

I have a spreadsheet which is like this: The sheet is mostly comprised
of groups (i.e. literally the cells says Group1, Group2, etc.). Each
group header is a named range. Underneath each group there maybe many
or no letters. I need to parse out each group cell along with its
letters, so I can then do a lookup on the letter rows for certain
data. The search should be able to flexible enough to find 1 group, 15
groups or many more groups. I will be doing this search function
programmatically, although if it makes sense to format the source
spreadsheet to help the search I can do that.

This is an example of the sheet, all on 1 column:

GROUP1 'named range
A 'data I need to the right of the letter
GROUP1 'if there are no letters then the blanks until the next group
are filled with the name of the group repeatedly.
GROUP1
GROUP1
GROUP2 'named range
GROUP2
GROUP3 'name range
GROUP3
GROUP3
GROUP4 'named range
GROUP4

If this makes sense, or if clarification is needed, please respond.

Thanks.