Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I have a Function Call that won't cause calculation.

I have a function which I call from an Excell cell "=GetNote()".

The only way I can get this function to calculate is to explicitly go to the
cell and then hit CR. It doesn't calculate if I do a COPY with the formula
included or if I do a re-calc (F9).

Why isn't this function calculating?

Thanks,
Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Unless you declare it Volatile, Excel will only recalculate it when
there are changes to the arguments. Since there are no arguments ...

You will probably get better performance by explicitly passing the cell
dependencies as arguments instead of declaring it Volatile.

Jerry

Mac Lingo wrote:

I have a function which I call from an Excell cell "=GetNote()".

The only way I can get this function to calculate is to explicitly go to the
cell and then hit CR. It doesn't calculate if I do a COPY with the formula
included or if I do a re-calc (F9).

Why isn't this function calculating?

Thanks,
Mac

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I went back and changed the Data Column call to the following:
=IF(LEN(Input!J7 ),Gen_Note(A7),"")

Then I made a Test column and put in
=If (Len(Input!J7),1,"")

The Test column always calculates a correct result. The Data Column still
requires that I move my cursor to the particlar cell, hit the left mouse key
twice, and hit return to calculate.

And I would expect to get a re-calc on loading the spreadsheet or using F9.

Thanks for your help,
Mac