Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Converting XLA to COM

Hi!

I have an Excel application that I would like to distribute as an
addin, but I am concerned about security. The application is written
in VBA, in XLA format.

I understand that my best option is to convert my XLA to a COM addin
using Microsoft Office XP Developer.

Questions:

1. Is any additional coding involved? I am not familiar with the API
nor with C++. Is the process anything like a straight "compilation"
from VBA or am I hoping for too much?

2. Do I need to buy the entire Developer package, including all the
Office application components that I already own?

3. I understand that Microsoft has replaced the Office Developer
series with Visual Studio Tools. Can I achieve the same result with
VST or would I face compatibility problems? Is working with VST any
easier/ more difficult?

I am worried that what I'm trying to do is a very small subset of the
capabilities of these tools and that I'll end up investing a lot of
time learning tools that I won't be using afterwards, a bit like
trying to get a drink from a fire hose!

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Karl,

<<1. Is any additional coding involved? I am not familiar with the API nor
with C++. Is the process anything like a straight "compilation" from VBA or
am I hoping for too much?

You don't need to know anything about C++ and the additional coding
required is not what I'd call significant, but the additional understanding
required is not trivial.

<<2. Do I need to buy the entire Developer package, including all the Office
application components that I already own?

I think it's a moot point if you don't own the developer edition already
because I don't believe you can buy any version of Office XP any longer. You
might find it on E-Bay or someplace similar.

<<3. I understand that Microsoft has replaced the Office Developer series
with Visual Studio Tools. Can I achieve the same result with VST or would I
face compatibility problems? Is working with VST any easier/ more
difficult?

VSTO works only with Excel 2003 and Visual Studio.NET. You would not be
able to distribute your solution to anyone who is not running Excel 2003.
This would also require a very significant learning curve.

<<I am worried that what I'm trying to do is a very small subset of the
capabilities of these tools and that I'll end up investing a lot of time
learning tools that I won't be using afterwards, a bit like trying to get a
drink from a fire hose!

I hate to say it, but I think you've characterized things pretty
accurately. If I were you I'd stick with an xla.

--
Rob Bovey, MCSE, MCSD, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

"Karl" wrote in message