Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Hyperlinks and the Display field

Hi there,

I'm not much of an excel programmer but I'm looking for a solution to
something that might save me a lot of work.....

I have an excel sheet containing descriptions of about 4000 sound
effects as wav files stored on a local drive. I've built a search
function to go through and find keywords which works well. Each
description is in its own cell. You click on a description, such as
"Dog bark" and it hyperlinks to the relevant wav and you hear it.
Great so far. It's simple and it works.

I've just got about another 6000 files to integrate into this system.
The first time round, I manually hyperlinked every single file. Which
was very dull and time consuming. Having done some trawling around, I
can get myself as far as having the description text in one column
(i.e. what excel calls Display in the hyperlink dialog box) and the
relevant hyperlink in the column next to it. Whilst this isn't the
end of the world, it does mean some scrolling about and is not very
elegant. Does anyone know of an automated way to merge the two, so
that the 6000 descriptive "display" fields are given their associated
hyperlink in the same cell without me linking every single one again
manually?

Thanks in an advance for any assistance,

Rob