Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Large size posts in Newsgroups yield lesser responses ?

Hi,

A doubt to all the people who regularly answer queries of others.

Do any of you Excel gurus filter (Im assuming most use outlook or some
newsreader) questions/posts based on the size of the question.

Like if the Post size is above this much size then "Dont download the post"
etc.

Im sorry Im not asking this to sound rude etc but just wanted to know
because it has happened 2 or 3 times in the past that if my post is big then
I dont get any responses.

Please note the post is big not due to attachments (I have read Chip's
guidelines of not attaching any file) but rather explaining everything in
the post itself. Now if we explain everything in the post itself then
sometimes there are long codes ( my codes are quite unwieldy even by a
beginner's standards..) and when I pastes these long codes in the post the
post becomes huge.

Now, I dont know what to do. Should I skip pasting those codes (By skipping
I dont want to give the impression that I havent tried)

Just to check my "theory" in outlook I sorted posts sizewise in programming
group. I went to Public.excel also and there I could see posts being
responded to even if the size was big ( most of them had attachments
also..). Seeing this I couldnt come to any conclusion regarding whether
posts which are big in size ( whether having attachments or not) would have
on an average lesser responses compared to others.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Hari
India

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hari,

There is a delicate balance to be struck between giving enough information
to allow someone make a suggestion and posting so much data that the problem
is swamped in irrelevant detail. One of the tricks to learn is how to
isolate the problem so that you can post the code which is causing the
problem and cut away as much of the irrelevant stuff (by "irrelevant" I mean
stuff that doesn't pertain to the problem you are having).

For example if you have some VBA code which populates 20 columns and 50 rows
of a spreadsheet with data and then falls over when you do some manipulation
of that data, why not write a new version which populates 2 columns and 3
rows and if it still falls over then post that code? Much less work for
those looking to respond to see where the error might be coming from.

In general terms the more briefly you can express the problem, and the
easier it is for someone to duplicate the problem you are having, the more
likely you will be to get a useful response.

And yes, those on pay-per-minute internet access schemes do often filter out
large postings - regardless of whether they have attachments or not.

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Peter Beach

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Hari" wrote ...

Do any of you Excel gurus filter (Im assuming most use outlook or some
newsreader) questions/posts based on the size of the question.

I use google groups, thus ensuring my replies are always out of date
<g. I search by subject e.g. ADO is a favorite (though it means I
keep getting that dull 'math bug' thread because someone posted the
phrase 'much ado about nothing'). If it's a subject that interests me
then the more details the better: existing code, test data, DDL schema
and an in depth description of what the OP *really* wants to achieve.
It helps if the post has a meaningful title and starts with a preamble
that covers the main points, otherwise it can be hard to determine
whether a long post really is a topic of interest to me.

P.S. Try avoiding appealing to gurus: it puts us non-gurus off
replying <g.

Jamie.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jamie and Peter,

Thanx a lot for responding.

Have gleaned useful tips from your replies.

Regards,
Hari
India