Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Dynamically changing filename referenced by day

This is actually a friends problem but i will try and translate what
he said to me as i can.

He has said to me that he references a certain spreadsheet which
changes everyday. Everyday he has to manually select the referenced
file and asks how he can automate the task.

This is what he said to me:

"Basically the file name is called Highboard and its a collection of
12 panels on one screen each panel with different information. Now the
files I want to link it with are in the FB network drive, New Folders
and Pecs. Now each day a new sheet is created but the format is the
same and so what I think I'll need is to link the same cell to the
main dashboard sheet but for different days so in essence its real
time. Reckon its possible??"

Basically he wants to reference a cell in B from A, where the name of
B changes everyday and im guessin that it corresponds to the date!

As i dont have much experience with excel im hoping someone can help?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Arun,

He can use INDIRECT function, which allows him to put the file name into a
cell and use it as a link in a formula. The linked-to file must be open.
Or he can put the name into a cell (or somewhere) and have a macro build the
link in his formula using that name, in which case the file need not be
open.

--
Earl Kiosterud

om...