-   -   Protect a group of cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/304582-protect-group-cells.html)

Raymond[_8_]

Protect a group of cells

How do I protect only a group of cells to prevent any change or deletion of
data, and not the entire worksheet? I selected the groups of cells that I
want to protect, and did the protection, but it went ahead and protect
everything in the worksheet, which is what I don't want.

Thank You.

Frank Kabel

Protect a group of cells

Hi
see your post in Excel.worksheetfunctions

How do I protect only a group of cells to prevent any

change or deletion of
data, and not the entire worksheet? I selected the

groups of cells that I
want to protect, and did the protection, but it went

ahead and protect
everything in the worksheet, which is what I don't want.

Thank You.

.

Tom Ogilvy

Protect a group of cells

the default is for all cells to have their locked property set.

Select all the cells and uncheck the locked property.

then select the group of cells and check the locked property

then protect the sheet.

Tom Ogilvy

"Raymond" wrote in message
How do I protect only a group of cells to prevent any change or deletion

of
data, and not the entire worksheet? I selected the groups of cells that I
want to protect, and did the protection, but it went ahead and protect
everything in the worksheet, which is what I don't want.

Thank You.

JulieD

Protect a group of cells

Hi Raymond

just a note - its not generally necessary to post to more than one group ...

Cheers
JulieD

"Raymond" wrote in message
How do I protect only a group of cells to prevent any change or deletion

of
data, and not the entire worksheet? I selected the groups of cells that I
want to protect, and did the protection, but it went ahead and protect
everything in the worksheet, which is what I don't want.

Thank You.

Jon Peltier[_8_]

Protect a group of cells

Especially ones for which your question is not really relevant.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services