Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel sheet......help.

I am developing an app using Excel objects.
I need to track the changes made in the cells while a user is working on an
excel sheet.
The only method I know is to use ActiveSheet and SelectionChanges and
compare the sheet before and after user makes changes. Are there any other
bets I have? Maybe some other events, methods, to track format changes in
cells of a sheet ?
Awaiting response.........Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
tzhere's no event to track only format changes. None of
these events is triggered by this.
The only workaround I can think of is using the OnTime
method to periodically check the cell contents 8but this
will slow down Excel!)

I am developing an app using Excel objects.
I need to track the changes made in the cells while a

user is working on an
excel sheet.
The only method I know is to use ActiveSheet and

SelectionChanges and
compare the sheet before and after user makes changes.

Are there any other
bets I have? Maybe some other events, methods, to track

format changes in
cells of a sheet ?
Awaiting response.........Thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Paul,

If by "Format changes" you mean format in the Excel sense (color, font,
etc), as opposed to sheet layout, then I'll give you my standard blurb on
using formatting as data. Maybe it will be helpful:

Using Formatting as data:
There's been a lot of the use of formatting, such as color, to store
information lately, then doing stuff like sorting based on color. This
isn't really the way Excel was designed. Note that by formatting, I mean
cell formatting, such as color, font, borders, etc., not sheet layout, as
the term formatting is sometimes also used. Formatting is really "output
only" -- not intended to be inputted by the user, then tested as data. It's
a better idea to put the information (a code or something), for which the
formatting was being used, into a cell in some way. Then use that
information to cause formatting to change, such as with Conditional
Formatting, or a worksheet_Change sub. Now the cell can be easily tested,
instead of testing the formatting. Formatting should not be manually
applied to a cell to store any kind of information. My 2¢.

--
Earl Kiosterud