Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default ExcelApplication

I am trying to write a program in VB to work with Excel and can't
even declare objects of type ExcelApplication. Are there some libraries
I have to link to before I can do this?

Also, I have many other questions but don't want to waste people's time
on the forums, so would someone be kind of enough to point me toward
the the full Excel API documentation (so far I've only found little tutorials
here and there with hardly any information)? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

If you are using VB6 go Tools / References and select Microsoft Excel 9.0
Object Library (may be a different version). Then you should find that

Dim XL as Excel.

gives you an intellisence drop down of the appropriate objects.

Full documentation of the API doesn't exist (or at least I've never found it
<g), but you can get a pretty long way using intellisence and using the
object browser.

Because VB and VBA are virtually identical, you may find it easier to do
some of the initial coding in XL/VBA and once it is working in XL just copy
the code across to your VB application. XL's VBA help ain't great but it's
often enough to get you pointing in the right direction.

HTH

Peter Beach