Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Reading the contents of an inserted picture

Dear All,

I recently had to import a table ~1000 rows from the web. Thi
table has a total of 14 columns, of which four are check boxes. Th
problem is that these checkboxes are on the site as gifs, and when th
table is copied and pasted into excel, they come in as pictures. I nee
to write a program that can count how many of these boxes in eac
column are checked. Unfortunately, all of the properties that I ca
access (size, position, line type, etc) are identical for the tw
different gifs (checked and unchecked). The only ways that I can see t
extract whether the box is checked or not are to either somehow extrac
the original name of the gif file for each checkbox in the file befor
it was copied into excel, then make a decision based on that. However
it doesn't seem that excel keeps the file name when its copied in. I
I'm wrong I would appreciate a line of code to acess it. The other wa
that I can see getting the information is to check the color of a pixe
in the picture that is known to be back for a checked box and white fo
an unchecked one. I've tried using the point(x,y) command that give
the pixel color in regular VB, but VBA does not seem to be acceptin
it. (MsgBox Selection.ShapeRange.Point(5, 5), with one of the picture
selected, gives an "object does not support this property or method
error)

If anyone can offer any help getting one of these approaches to work
or offer any other ideas, I would be very appreciative.

Scott Boynto