Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default reading xml fields into excel

I have a program which produces (among other things) xml files. I need to
extract specific fields from within each xml file and insert them into an
Excel sheet.

I don't even know how to make a start on this. Each xml is in it's own
folder so I need to extract from each folder in turn. The folders are named
Pat00001, Pat00002 etc. 1 to 500 are in folder called Pats0000, 501 to 1000
are in Pats0001 etc.

Any ideas to get me started. I know it's a tall order, but I just need a
prod in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance

Ian

--

Remove NG from my address to send direct.
-----

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ian,

What version of XL? Excel XP handles xml directly and you can just open the
xml files and then extract the data needed.

If you are working on earlier versions you will need to use an xml parser
(unless you feel energetic enough to write your own, but as they're free
it's not usually worth the effort). If you want to use the Microsoft xml
parser there are lots of references.

Perhaps
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...fusingxdom.asp
will get you started.